Accessibility (lack-of) information
One of the main issues when getting information from the AT-SPI layer is that most of the accessibility information is missing. Names are almost never set, therefore, objects take the name of the current text.
This is something generally painful, as tests will need to be localized for each language. Let’s imagine that we have a form called “Update Manager”, then the object would be frmUpdatemanager. If we change the target system language, let’s say, to Spanish, then the window will be named “Gestor de Actualizaciones”, and the accessibility information in this case would be frmGestordeactualizaciones.
As I wrote in my previous post, we are trying to separate as much as possible this kind of information from the scripts code. Apart from having classes for the common activities with applications, the text in windows, buttons, etc. is maintained in a separate file, ubuntu_constants.py that will be, eventually, the only file to be changed when porting the tests to a different language.